7 Gross Infections You Can Catch From Not Washing Your Makeup Brushes
By KALI BOROVICIt should come as no surprise that cleaning your makeups brushes is important, but not many people know just how important it is. Brushes are obviously a staple in everyday makeup, but they can also be a breeding ground for germs, bacteria, and even illnesses. Once you see the things you can contract from your makeup brushes if you don't clean them enough, you'll want to wash your entire collection, ASAP.
When it comes to washing your makeup brushes, there is no such thing as too often. According to Elle, you should wash your brushes after every single use to make sure that you're not contracting germs. If that sounds a little too extensive for you, then you'll be happy to know that The Gloss says the longest you should go without washing your brushes is one month. That's the absolute longest though, because some seriously awful things can be brewing in your makeup applicators and you may not even know it.
Attracting bugs and losing eyelashes isn't even the worst of what can come from a dirty brush. Some of the infections you can contract can even put you in the hospital. That might sound like an extreme situation, but getting out of bed to wash your beauty tools doesn't sound so bad when you consider the consequences.
Here's some of the other things that happen when if you decide to skip a brush wash or two.
1. Aggravated Breakouts
If you keep seeing breakouts in some of the main areas that you use your brushes, this could be a clear sign that you're washing them enough. Actually, cleaning your makeup brushes is one of the top ways to prevent breakouts.
2. Skin IrritationBefore you toss out that new makeup that you think you're allergic to, check your application tools first. The oil and bacteria in your makeup brushes could be the reason that your face seems so irritated.
3. Pink EyeLetting the bacteria and old makeup build up in your brushes can also cause pink eye. Old, dirty makeup is a common way to contract the viral infection, and it's one of the easiest diseases to spread, too, according to Byrdie.
4. HerpesBelieve it of not, dirty brushes can give you herpes, according to The Gloss, since the disease loves moist environments. If this isn't enough to make you wash your brushes as often as possible, then I don't know what is.
5. Clogged PoresThis should come as no surprise, but you can seriously clog your pores by putting dirty makeup brushes on your face. There's a reason you wash your face every night, so don't ruin all that hard work by rubbing built up product all over your skin.
6. Staph InfectionAccording to Good Housekeeping, a woman in Australia reportedly got a staph infection from dirty makeup brushes and it left her paralyzed. This might sound like worst case scenario.
7. Fungal InfectionSince fungal infections are caused from any bit of fungus left on the skin, according to Heathline, your brushes could be spreading illness without you even knowing it. If you're getting a rash, cracking, or soreness, you should wash your brushes and see a doctor ASAP.
I don't know about you, but this task just moved a lot higher on my to-do list.
Want more beauty tips? Check out the video below, and be sure to subscribe to Bustle’s YouTube page for more hacks and tricks!
Article source: https://www.bustle.com/articles/142386-7-gross-infections-you-can-catch-from-not-washing-your-makeup-brushes